When I woke up this morning, I was thinking about my vacation next week, which naturally led to thinking of death. Right? You always think you may never come back. It's one of my thoughts, anyway
Which led to serious thoughts about my memorial service. Now, I already know where I'm going to buried. I love New Jersey, but my roots are in Western Pennsylvania. I'd always had it in my head that I would be buried there, in Oakland Cemetery, overlooking the mall where I hung out when I was a teenager. I wanted to be where the action was. When my mother died, I told my sister this, and she ended up buying a bunch of plots for us there. So I want to be buried next to my mother. Well...next to my siblings when they're buried next to my mother. Sorry, sibs.
I built my adult life in Central Jersey, so that's a good place for the memorial service. I want a lot of people to be able to gather and deeply mourn and say great things. The Unitarian Society, my former church, would be wonderful, but it's too small. I think it fits about 125 people. People from the Unitarian Society, work, my former choir, neighbors, I think there would be a lot of people. Hell, if you added all my bad dates in East Brunswick, that would triple the number. Although I don't think I'd care for the vibe.
So I was thinking maybe the Hilton? I mean, my sister will probably pay for it anyway, so why not? You could have both the service and the reception. Except since it wouldn't be private event, probably a lot of hotel guests would show up. On the other hand, if they cry, that wouldn't be so bad.
That's as far as I got, because the dogs were hungry. Life: it's so intrusive.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.